WHO warn against divided efforts as COVID-19 cases hit 9 million mark

WHO media brief. Image|Courtesy

The World Health Organization has warned against a divided world in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

In a media briefing, the director general of the World Health Organization Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said the world is facing challenges due to lack of solidarity.

“The greatest threat we face now is not the virus itself, it’s the lack of global solidarity and global leadership.

"We cannot defeat this pandemic with a divided world," Ghebreyesus said during a video conference on Monday.

Ghebreyesus seems to touch on US President Donald Trump last month move terminate its relationship with the organization.

With the country being WHO’s largest funder, its withdrawal could sabotage efforts in the fight against the novel coronavirus.

The DG defined China’s position in the organization, saying the country “has total control over the World Health Organization."

WHO confirmed a total of 8,860,331 cases of COVID-19, including 465,740 deaths as at June 22, 2020.

See also: Government urged to stand firm in effort to implement Tobacco control policy

Related Stories

More Stories from International News