The government has fulfilled part of its promises set at the beginning of the year, despite the Coronavirus pandemic effects.
Speaking at State House Nairobi during the state of the COVID-19 address on Monday, President Uhuru Kenyatta directed the Ministry of Sports, Culture and Heritage to set aside Ksh.100 million to cushion local artistes from the effects of the pandemic.
This is part of the pledges the government made in January this year to increase funds paid out to artistes after they had received an underwhelming annual pay of Ksh.200 million last year.
“I direct the Ministry of Sports, Culture and Heritage to avail Ksh.100M from the Sports Fund to our artistes, actors and musicians during the period of the covid-19 pandemic so they may continue to entertain their fellow brothers and sisters through TV, radio and the internet,” said Kenyatta.
The directive will see all local artistes earning a total of Ksh.200 million per month or Ksh.2 billion per year, effective this month.
“Starting this month, all our local artistes will be earning a total of Ksh.200 million per month that will be paid to musicians through the system and other platforms that we have developed. This shall translate this year to over Ksh.2 billion going into the pockets of our young artistes and young Kenyans,” said Kenyatta.
The move will see local artists resort to online entertainment, even as the government urge citizens to minimize movement, stay at home and reduce social distance –a key measure in the fight against COVID-19.
Four Counties of Nairobi, Mombasa, Kilifi and Kwale have been termed Coronavirus hot bed, with the government restricting movements in and out of these counties.