KQ suspends flights to Guangzhou over Coronavirus outbreak

KQ flight. Image|Courtesy

The Kenya Airways (KQ) has suspended its flights to Guangzhou China, over the coronavirus outbreak.

In a press statement sent o newsroom on Friday Morning, the national carrier said all flights to and fro Guangzhou have been cancelled until further communication.

“Further to our communication regarding the current outbreak, we have temporarily suspended all flights to and from Guangzhou starting Friday January 31, 2020 until further notice,” read the statement in part.

The aircraft company further said it is still in consultation with the health ministry and that of foreign affairs for further update to the public.

The airline also clarified that it will continue flight operations to Bangkok airport.

“We apologize to all our customers for the inconvenience and reaffirm that the safety of our customers and staff remains our highest priority,” said the carrier.

The coronavirus outbreak occurred in Wuhan city, spreading to other sixteen cities in the country

On Sunday, the Chinese government issued a statement saying that 80 people had died following the outbreak.

Further reports from the authorities showed that about 2,744 people had been infected as at Sunday.

The government placed Wuhan and other 16 surrounding cities on lock down, isolating about 50 million people.

Earlier in the week, a Kenyan student from Guangzhou was tested upon arriving at JKIA and suspected to have contracted the coronavirus-like symptoms.

The student was isolated at the Kenyatta National Hospital, with the government response on the matter coming at a low note.

On Thursday, Health ministry said it is in collaboration with KQ to ensure that the matter is contained.

See also: Pressure mounts on IEBC as Tobiko order probe in 21 days

Related Stories

More Stories from News